Posted by Kevin K. Johnson
Taking some time off from caregiving can reduce stress. “Respite Care” provides substitute caregiving to give the regular caregiver a much-needed break. Below are the various types of respite services that are available:
- In-home respite. In this type of service, someone comes to your home to provide care. The type of care can range from simple companionship to nursing service. Generally, In-home respite care involves professionals that provide assistance with the Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s).
- Adult day-care centers. Many adult day-care centers are located in churches or community centers. Some day-care centers provide care for both elderly adults and young children. During the day, the two groups meet for several hours to share in activities such as reading stories. This type of contact seems to benefit both young and old.
- Short-term nursing homes. If your loved one needs occasional nursing care and you must leave town for a couple of weeks, some nursing homes will care for your loved one while you are gone.
- Day hospitals. Some hospitals provide medical care to patients during the day, and then at night the patient returns home.
What Devices Can I Buy That Will Help Me Provide Care?
There are devices that you can buy that can help you make sure that your loved one is safe. Below are some examples:
- Emergency response systems involve a button on a necklace, bracelet, or belt that your loved one wears. If she has an emergency and you are not home, she presses the button to alert a monitoring center. The center then alerts medical personnel and you. These systems are intended for people who can press the button and do not have dementia.
- An intercom system allows you to hear your loved one from another area of your home.
- A Wedcam is a video camera that allows you to see your loved one from another area of the home.
- Mobility monitors use a small transmitter to help keep track of people with dementia. When your loved one, wearing a transmitter strapped to her ankle or wrist passes out of a set range, the transmitter alerts you that your loved one is wandering away.